Wednesday, October 24, 2007

24 Oct 2007

Dearest Family,

Hello! How's the weather up there? It's starting to get beautiful here. Today we are planning on playing ultimate frisbee. Finally it's cool enough outside to run around and not die imediately afterwards. The last time I played ultimate frisbee outside it was the 4th of July in San Luis, AZ, about 100 yards away from Mexico. I think it was about 120 that day. I almost died.
Halloween is coming up. We aren't allowed to proselyte on Halloween Night here. So we will be going to a church building and hanging out all day. We haven't really decided what we are going to do yet.
Yesterday Neca had her baptism interview and is alreay to go for this Sunday. She will be moving back to Brazil the following week. We are really excited for her baptism. She is joining the church because a friend was loving enough to invite her to church and then she felt the spirit.
Yesterday we had a lesson with a 19 year-old woman that we started teaching about 10 days ago. It was our 4th meeting with her. She's already been to church and liked it. Yesterday we taught the Plan of Salvation and she understood it so well. We invited her to be baptized on the 17th of November and she accepted. She then told us that she was planning to move back home to Wacco Texas in a couple of weeks. So I guess we'll be preparing someone for baptism in Texas. So that's two people that we're teaching and want to be baptized that are moving in the next couple of weeks. Hopefully we can find people that want to be baptized and will stay in the wards that they're taught in. I think the Bishops of the wards would like us better if we baptized people that will stay in their wards.
Yesterday we set up a booth on MCC (Mesa Community College). There are a lot of members that go to school here. We talked to more members in the 2 hours than non-members. I thought that at least we'd get people come up and anti us. It was almost time to go when a man came charging up and said "I don't want to start a war, but you are perpetuating the same lie that Satan told to Eve in the Garden of Eden!" and then he stormed off. I thought it was funny, but one of the members that was hanging out by our table replied "Hey sir, that's inappropriate." The man walked off and the member started making fun of himself for responding that way. He said that when he was on his mission he would have brushed off something like that. Anyway the point of this whole story is that while we were talking somebody came walking to the table and said "Henrichsen!" I looked up and there was Rene, a young man I had taught in Yuma and was going to school at MCC. He had moved away from Yuma before he was ever baptized. I think that I was sent to this area to find him again and to baptize him. I love seeing the tender mercies of the Lord in my life. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is Christ's church today. It's awesome.

-Elder John Henrichsen

No comments: