I'm writing tonight from the great state of Indiana. This is just a place that I think will always make me want to bust out into song about Gary, Indiana, just like little Winthrop in The Music Man.
Why, you wonder, am I out here on a random weekend like this? Well, there's a conference going on this week for Sigma Theta Tau, an international nursing honor society. Though I thought I'd just pay the dues, get some recognition, and not think much about it (let's be honest), I've actually done a lot with the organization over the past 7 months. For example, at the beginning of October, we had a 5K Fun Run Purple Dash to raise funds for nursing education scholarships. Somehow, I went from signing up to help on the committee to being the sole person in charge of publicity for the event. That was a little stressful. The race did have its...difficulties, but it turned out to be fun. Since I received a small scholarship from STTI when I went down to Ecuador for study abroad this summer, I was also expected to present on our collective experiences at the BYU College of Nursing research conference. I did that at the very beginning of October. That was a little scary, but it was only 15-20 minutes. It was just intimidating to be a REAL person up there presenting like a professional or GROWN-UP (yes, I know I'm 24...coping comes slowly). Anyway, that went well and was a good experience.
So now, I've been out here in Indianapolis for a few days with a fellow student and STTI member, Katie, as well as two of our STTI mentors/teachers. Katie and I worked together on a presentation which we gave, sharing 15-20 minutes together, as we explained the aims, methods, and outcomes of our Human Health and Global Diversity study down in Ecuador. Of course, this audience was not the same as the previous conference, but nursing educators with years of experience and their graduate degrees and certification alphabet soup following their names. (There was actually a student reception to welcome us to the conference, and I think there were a total of 7 students there.) Anyway, they were surprised when Katie introduced us as undergraduate students, as we could see from their faces and hear in the slight gasp that passed through the room. They were also shocked that we were in Ecuador for an entire month. It was nerve-wracking for a bit, but I think we both presented calmly and professionally. Someone mentioned afterwards that we looked perfectly relaxed as we spoke, and I realized that we just stopped worrying once we started talking, because all we had to do was tell about something we loved doing. It was good to get the stressful aspect of the trip over with. For the rest of the conference, we can just listen to the presentations we want to, and enjoy VACATION!
Then, we celebrated Halloween by visiting the zillion vendor booths and collecting some candy, but mostly loot like pens, water bottles, highlighters, and little band-aid dispensers. Katie and I decided we rather liked the grown-up trick or treating we got to do. Afterwards, we went to an Irish Pub for dinner with our two professors. I really missed the clean-air act when we first walked in, but we survived the experience, but the food was really good.
Today was the BEST!! After going to a quick conference thing, we went to sacrament meeting at the local Spanish branch. Then I went down to Matthew's area in time to go to classes with their family. Sweet little I (almost 4) gave her first talk ever in Primary on King Benjamin's address on service. She prepared and projected well, and I pretty much think it was the cutest thing I've seen in a long time. The message was "God wants us to serve others!"
Then I got to go home and just spend time with that amazing portion of the Frogmorton Clan. It's crazy how fast they grow. I finally got to meet my namesake baby #9 today and snuggle him! Back at their house, we just had dinner, drew pigs, ate Halloween candy, danced in the kitchen, and just had a great time. :) I'm so grateful for my wonderful family!!
P.S. I just realized that Indiana reminds me of who's currently in Diana, and will be enticed (well, induced) to come out in the next 12 hours or so...!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Well Indianapolis is half-a-state-away from Gary, but you are still allowed to sing about Gary, Indiana. But you are not allowed to sing about 76 trombones. Horns, yes, but not trombones or euphoniums. The adult trick-or-treating at the booths is fun. More value comes from the learning and the networking available at the different booths. I am glad you are having these great experiences. Love, Dad
Sounds like you had a fun time. Great job impressing all the alphabet soup people...you're awesome Daisy!
B
You cool grown up. I'm chuckling a little over your In-diana pun. I wonder if she would.
i did chuckle. quietly though, cuz (no longer) inDiana is sleeping in my arms. shhhhhh!
I am so excited for you and your "grown up" experience. I still have moments when I have to remind myself that I am a grown up. Then it's another thing to convince others that I am not a teen mom... Ha ha ha (plus I loved the In Diana joke)
Post a Comment