21 Aug 2006
"We decided to do sealings today since there was a sign up that patrons for sealings were needed. I'm really grateful for the other brothers and sisters who went to serve in the House of the Lord. As missionaries can only participate as children being sealed to parents, the rush of missionaries in to help with the work would not be able to accomplish anything without the good couples and others there (plus the sealer too) to be proxy parents. I love that the sealers tend to do some teaching during the session, too. The brother asked us a question about what children and what blessings were being spoken of as a part of the sealing and talked about that. As I walked around with Sister Jackson last night, we discussed/shared our first temple experiences. Since her parents have adopted several children, just after she received her endowment, one of her newest brothers was sealed to them. Her family actually lives in India right now, as her dad works for the US embassy as a doctor. Because of that her life has been all over, and almost always overseas, with the exception of her birth in Utah. She turns 21 on Wednesday. Hna Malio comes from Southern California and her parents are from Samoa. She is one of those people who just helps others to smile and laugh, even if times are rough. Mna Malio's little sister is also here at the MTC. Hna Jackson now has a cousin here, too, so we've all been able to enjoy seeing family though more members of our families are far away. Oh yeah, the funny part anbout our temple experience today. We had to wait a bit for the temple workers to get things organized for the flood of missionaries who went up to do sealings. As we were waiting in the hall, I was sharing with my Zone leader (one of them) that I'd had a neat sealing opportunity with you before reporting, because he'd never participated in sealings and was expressing his excitement. Just then, the supervising temple worker walked up and asked if we were there to do sealings. We all let him know that was correct. Then he asked, "You're a couple, right?" Of course, we quickly corrected him that, no, we were not a couple, but all missionaries. At the same time, both companionships herded up immediately (farther away from each other) in order to better communicate the proper relationships. It was just funny that all of us were so quick to express "couple!? Ack! Of course not!" through our embarrassment, actions, and words. After that, our zone leaders were sure to make a different elder have to sit by the sisters as we waited in a full sealing room, just to avoid the production of any more misled assumptions about connections with the sisters. hahaha
"One thing I love about my missionary zone is that there are a good number of sisters. There's about a dozen right now. Before we go to sleep each night, we gather as sisters and discuss/review zone/branch goals (mostly to be on time and SYL goals) and then sing a hymn together. It's nice having such sweet-voiced sisters around, too, because that's usually the best hymn of the day. Then after we pray, we do this "abiazo" thing (that means to arms/hug) and we all put our arms around each other in a big circle for a couples seconds. It's definitely a kind of weird thing for people at first, especially with the sound effects, which are hard to express in letter format. However, as we have arms around each other, we lean in and make this high-pitched "MMM" sound. Weird-sounding, huhj? It definitely grew on me and I can tell the whole nightly CANTEMOS (Let's sing) builds unity amont the sisters.
Comprehending and speaking Spanish is coming easier now, but I still struggle and need to work a lot, not to mention depend on the Spirit. I am so grateful it's not our responsibility to do the convincing of the hearts of men. I'm grateful the Spirit teaches me so much and helps others feel and know the truth as we teach and bear witness of the gospel. I know Heavenly Father loves us individually and answers prayers. Saturday night I prayed to really be fed on Sunday. Relief Society was so amazing with a lesson from Sis. Camille Fronk Olsen on John 15:1-15, and we ended with Nearer, My God to Thee - my favorite hymn. I was unable to sing much of it because I was so full of gratitude for our Savior and the tender mercies with which we are showered. I know Heavenly Father answers prayers. I know we are known and precious, individually. Im honored to share this news with all the brothers and sisters that I can. Keep being great missionaries! Don't be afraid to share your testimonies and the great blessings of this gospel with all the world. You will not be alone in your efforts. I love you!
28 Aug. 2006
"I think of whenever people post things on their blogs, they should e-mail or send those little notes to Dear Elder.com so John and I can read the fun notes about the kids, etc. too. Only if people want to, or if it's not too much of a hassle. It'd be fun though.:)
(A little background about the next part. While in Utah for the wedding, Ray talked with a non-member who had grown up in Provo area. They were in a car wash, I think, and talked for a long time. Anne Marie, Diana and I were in a shopping mall, waiting to be picked up, wondering if we had given poor directions and Dad couldn't find us. But he was being a missionary. He sent Sue the man's name so she could call him from the MTC and follow up).
"Dad, I called Brett and Saturday night and talked with him for quite a while. He was touched that your meeting was important enough to you that you'd write me about it. He said he's been reading and going to Institute with a member friend. He also said that he really is trying to take it slow to be sure, instead of feeling rushed into something. I really wanted to talk about walking by faith, not by sight, but didn't mention it as the conversation moved on, since he turned out to be a big talker once he started. It was a lesson to me, though, to cut in and share things as inspired, right away. I did share with him my testimony of his divine nature and that he can and will know the Book of Mormon is truly the word of God, for himself. I sure am grateful Moroni listened to the Lord and kept writing, even when he had thought he was done. It's such an important promise there. Brett said also that he was reading a lot at first and felt like it was all coming on too strong and heavy, so he backed off a bit. I talked to him about specific feelings, specifically I pointed out that those feelings of peace, joy, light and enhanced knowledge are ways that he/we feel the Spirit testifying that something is good. Apparently one night years ago he ended up eating dinner with Elder Boyd K. Packer, not knowing who he was, and really had a good experience then. Anyway, I encouraged him to continue seeking, learning, and reading. It was a good experience, especially because I was worried about how well it'd go. I really enjoyed getting to talk to him about his concerns and bear my testimony of those principles. Thanks for being missionaries!
"...One of my new favorite scriptures is Moroni 7:33. I know that He calls us and provides a way. I've definitely realized that He doesn't necessarily call the perfectly qualified, but he qualifies whom He calls, something I'm very grateful for here.
"...Thank you for your little history, Mom. I'm very grateful for all those leaders and friends that had such an impact on your life. I'm even more grateful that you both made righteous decisions throughout your lives so you could be sealed in the temple and teach us the truth through your words and deeds. I'm so grateful for the peace and joy in my life as a result of the Gospel. I remember that even when Dad didn't have a job, there was never reason for dispair, because of the faith that we would be taken care of always. I'm not sure how exactly you managed it all the time, but I remember knowing everything would be fine. Thank you for your love and guidance. Thank you for making this opportunity possible. I love you!
"PS> I wwas wondering, Dad, have you always been as silly as you are now, because you looked mischievious as a little boy, but I think you seemed more serious several years ago.
"PPS. THE GOSPEL IS TRUE; SHARE IT! :)"
1 comment:
Thank you!!! I love this stuff! I've received a few letters from Sue, but she's just so busy that she can't possibly send a novel out to everyone. It's so fun reading about her experiences. She is incredible. Make it a great day!
Post a Comment